Tuesday, February 2, 2010

First 12 hours with the Nexus One UPDATED

My Nexus One that I ordered on Friday arrived today. (Overnight shipping my ass.) I'm still in the setting up and configuring phase for a few reasons, 1. I wasn't home when it arrived, 2. I had to get an Invisible Shield from Zagg on it so it wouldn't slip out of my hand. 3. I'm still reading The Manual. (Yes I read the manual.)

My early impressions are that its not an every-man's phone. Its not an intuitive UI. Browsing and selecting applications is more difficult than it should be in the world of the iPhone. Instead of having your applications available on your various homescreens, there's an application list that you have to select from, you can drag an application from this list to your home screens but why the extra step?

If your phone is on silent, you can't modify any of the sound options until you take your phone off silent, so I couldn't even view the ringtone list until I un-silenced my phone.

The keyboard seems to have some consistent problems getting along with my fingers, or the other way around, either way its always trying to type letters that I'm not trying to type when I'm towards one of the edges of the device.

Multitasking is great except when applications are competing for your attention with notifications that you have activity up in the header of the phone. However since there's no obvious way to quit an application I have to assume that every application I open is running in the background and chewing up my battery.

Uninstalling applications is also more steps than it should be, you have to go into settings, then manage your applications and uninstall via a menu system instead of removing from the homescreen.

Oh and since this is the big thing to make an issue, NO FLASH OMGWTFBBQ.... /sarcasm

I love the screen and the controls, having the option to roll the mouse down so I don't have to look at the phone is great.

The Android Marketplace is easy to navigate. It looks like most if not all the apps I used over 3G on my iPhone are here.

EVERYTHING is fast.

Oh yeah, Speech to text. This is AWESOME

I also bought the dock but didn't have much to say about it until I decided to go to bed and saw this... Okay now that is just cool and makes this the perfect accessory, great for travel and just so simple.

In about a week I'll review and compare the Nexus One and the iPhone after giving the Nexus One a fair chance. (And by fair chance I mean that I'll be writing this up after I'm as used to the Nexus One as I am with the iPhone, so if that takes longer than a week I'll give it longer than a week.)

Update: There's a task manager in the settings. I can see what applications are currently running now so I guess only parts of applications remain running if those applications have some sort of notification service, the main application shuts down when you leave it if the application isn't active. The notification bar tells you if you have an "ongoing" application meaning that its running in the background.

Update 2: I'm trying to not update this post too much but I didn't mention this above because I didn't miss it, but a software update released today adds multitouch to the Nexus One, looks like a good week to be switching.

No comments: